Bad Faucet Seat

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Hackney plumbing, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

Alot of homeowners think they can just replace a washer and that will stop the leaking faucet but some faucets contain a faucet seat. The surface face of the seat should be smooth and flat.

As you can see this seat is not smooth or flat and a flat washer would not have stopped the leaking tub faucet.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  2. Hackney plumbing

In a pinch for a temporary repair this faucet seat could be resurfaced. Its a fairly simple proceedure with common tools.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Its a fairly simple proceedure with common tools.

Most, not some, modern faucets, other than the cartridge cermic disc ones, have a seat. There is no washer which would have worked with that seat. I would not call a faucet seat refacer a "common tool". In fact many "modern" plumbers have never seen or heard of one, and would not know how to use it without damaging the seat further.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  4. Hackney plumbing

Who said anything about using a faucet reseating tool? I can do it with common plumbing/hand tools that any plumber should have on any plumbing truck.
  5. Hackney plumbing

First you remove the bad brass.....with a file. Every plumber should carry a file on the truck right?

Then you apply a lil bit of flux and some lead free solder. a bit of skill is involved here not to get the seat too hot but hot enough to allow the solder to stick.

[​IMG]

You allow that to cool and then use the file to make the seat smooth and flat. Spin the seat as you file to keep the surface of the seat flat.

[​IMG]

I did not spend very much time with this seat because I didn't have to use it in a pinch or for an emergency,I had the replacement seat with me. if I had to use the seat I would have spent a lil bit more time dressing it out to smooth finish. I spent about 5 minutes on the seat in the pic from the first pic to this last one.

[​IMG]
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Are you charging by the hour for that job???
  7. Hackney plumbing

This was a demo...there is no job.

[​IMG]
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It was a hypothetical question. How much time would you spend rebuilding the seat if you were charging by the hour? I have dressed seats, but have never used solder to build one up.
  9. Hackney plumbing

I had already answered that question,I stated I spent 5 minutes on that seat.

If I were charging by the hour or if I was charging by the job.......it still took 5 minutes. lol
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  10. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Most service plumbers carry a seat kit on there truck and would replace the seat. Far better job with out making a project out of it.

John
  11. Hackney plumbing

Do you realize how many different faucets seats are made? LOL.

Goodluck having every seat 100% of the time or being "around the corner" from some where that does.

If you read the entire thread you would understand that I did install a new seat,but it sure is good to know how to repair one in a pinch until one can be ordered if no one had it.