Bad Combo Valve??

Users who are viewing this thread

Jack Mansoura

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I seem to have a problem with my steam boiler. Recently the gas company did some work on my block, the gas was shut then put back on a few hours later. A guy from the gas company came in to relight my pilot lights on the boiler and hot water heater. I also tried a few times, no luck. My first thought was the thermocouple went bad again. Replaced it, but the pilot wont stay lit. Is this due to a bad gas combo valve?

Also, i noticed when i turn the thermostat down, the fan motor on the boiler keeps running. Is that normal? I assumed the motor would be off when there was no need for heat.

Thanks in advance,
Jack

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When the gas was shut off, the act of turning it on could have jostled loose some crud and jammed the valve or orifice. Have someone watch the gas meter while you're trying to light the pilots...they don't use much gas, but over time, you should be able to see the meter move...plus, can you smell any gas?

If the heating system is working, when the thing shuts off, often, they are set to continue to run the fan until the heat exchanger temperature drops to extract more heat. A boiler often does not have a fan, so maybe you have your terminology wrong. A furnace typically heats air, a boiler typically heats water, but the heat is distributed differently. YOu could have a hydro-air heat exchanger, that is sort of a hybrid, and it would have a fan to move air over the heat exchanger.

Jack Mansoura

Reaction score
When the gas was shut off, the act of turning it on could have jostled loose some crud and jammed the valve or orifice. Have someone watch the gas meter while you're trying to light the pilots...they don't use much gas, but over time, you should be able to see the meter move...plus, can you smell any gas?

If the heating system is working, when the thing shuts off, often, they are set to continue to run the fan until the heat exchanger temperature drops to extract more heat. A boiler often does not have a fan, so maybe you have your terminology wrong. A furnace typically heats air, a boiler typically heats water, but the heat is distributed differently. YOu could have a hydro-air heat exchanger, that is sort of a hybrid, and it would have a fan to move air over the heat exchanger.

The gas is definitely flowing. I can light the pilot but just wont stay lit after 2 new thermocouples.

I spoke to a friend of mine whos a plumber in pa. Its and oil to natural gas conversion burner. Its an Economite E20 model. He told me if it wasnt the thermocouple it was the gas combo valve. I changed the valve and same issue.

Also, the motor is running when the thermostat is not calling for heat.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks