Bad breaker, amp charts

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparks09

Reaction score
I am gonna try to keep this short, I always seem to write a book when trying to explain, so... I'm just getting my welders running after wiring my shop, the miller mig calls for 30 amp breaker which I have in my sub, 80 ft from main with 6awg aluminum plus one bare 10awg ground. Everything was good until I bought a 50 amp welder, I welded with it on 100 amps, no problems and my stinger was stuck to my table and it tripped breaker, but now I think my breaker is bad, it's floppy.. So here's my issue, my miller is 30 amps, my lincoln is 50, I definitely don't want to burn up my new miller so I guess I'm buying a new subpage and a 30 and a 50 amp breaker, and more wire and another plug for stick welder. The 6awg aluminum calls for 55 amps but doesn't give a length it'll hold the 55 I'm sure there's math involved but I'm right around 80' from main panel to sub, the lincoln ran fine on 30 amp breaker until it stuck to table, is it OK to run it off 30 amp breaker and just make sure it doesn't stick and draw over the 30? I really didn't expect to get two welders but hey, it happens, so anyone have a more simple solution? I gotta go buy a 30 amp breaker today so may as well get everything. The breaker is older itp and I've read I can use a qp style Siemens, same in the main but I haven't had problems with it tripping so hope this doesn't sound like jibbrr jabber and someone gets what I'm saying.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think a welder requires the 80% rule, but if it does, then that must be accounted for in sizing the wiring. The manual of the welder should indicate the minimum circuit required for proper operation and longevity. To be conservative, relying on the 80% rule will also help things like the breaker to last longer as it won't get as hot. With aluminum wire, (well, any wire, but more so with aluminum) the proper technique when attaching the wires is crucial...a loose or corroded connection can lead to a fire or low voltage situations, meaning you may try to draw more amps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks