Bacteria Issues - New Well

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by chuck b, Feb 3, 2012.

1. chuck b

chuck b sea-bee

Just had a new well drilled for my cottage located in Northern Michigan. Was on a shared well previously. Used the continuous variable speed power pump and am happy with that. However, after several unsuccessful water sample tests, we are getting a no pass on the bacteria content of the water. The reputable well digger said he will "bomb" the well shaft with chlorine, then retest. The water is off to the cottage having been blown out before the cold winter. I am concerned that "even if it passes as a result of the chlorine, would that not just be a false negative, so when the chlorine is flushed out the bacteria could return?" How should I handle this. The well was dug some 89 feet, the 50' adjacent septic systems isolation distances were honored as I pulled a permit, and the other cottages along the beach with wells dug at this level have had no problems. Thanks.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

"Bacteria" is a general term that doesn't mean much.
    Fecal coli-form now would be telling us something.

If the well water is contaminated, then the piping is also. The entire system must be treated with chlorine.

If the driller contaminated the well, a proper and complete chlorine treatment should fix it.

If the water table is contaminated from another source, the problem will be likely to return.
  3. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

Most bad tests are a false positive.

It's easy to get a bad test, it's hard to get a good one.
  4. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

If he is not recirculating the water down the well head, its all for nothing.
  5. Mikei16

Mikei16 New Member

If he is not recirculating the water

If he is not recirculating the water down the well head, its all for nothing. ? What is the benefit of recirculating the water down the well head ?? I am re-using an older well that has not been used for sometime.

Mike
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The bacteria is/can be living on the wet walls of the bore hole and the casing. The chlorine solution should be recirculated to coat all surfaces inside the well. After the contact time has expired, the re-circulation should continue while the well is being pumped off to clean the well.
  7. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Not to mention the bacteria that came in with the new equipment. And maybe a few dog turds.