Backwater valve sleeve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by meanrn92, Jan 4, 2013.

1. meanrn92

meanrn92 New Member

Hello all first post so here goes. We have a 4 year old house with a roughed in bath in the basement we are ready to finish. In the middle of the floor is a backwater extension sleeve this sticks up about 12 inches. The ID is 5 inches looking in the sleeve there is what looks like a clean out that would unscrew. What is this for do I need it? If I cut this sleeve flush with the floor what can i cover the hole with? Is there a need to access this valve? Can I fill the hole with concrete and forget about it?

Thanks
    paul
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

You can cut it flush. You do need it. You can cover it with a flush cap
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Do not "fill the hole with concrete". Someday, you WILL need to remove that cover on the BWV.