Backwater valve installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

darren_t_johnson

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to be installing a Mainline backwater valve, and the instructions say I need at least 2% grade.

I over analyze things... so does that mean the inlet pipe and outlet pipe have to have at least 2% grade, and the backwate valve should be level? The outlet pipe is already 3/4" lower then the inlet pipe.

Or should the backwater valve itself be installed on a slope? This doesn't sound right to because it the unit is slopped too much, the flap might not close properly.

Has anyone installed one before and/or offer advice?

Thanks
Darren

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
2% is the STANDARD minimum slope for a properly installed drain line. Your problem, if anything is that the inlet and outlet are 3/4' lower which creates a problem in a "straight pipe". Unless you can excavate enough pipe to make up that 3/4", you will have to install the BWV with a "backwards tilt" to make it fit.

darren_t_johnson

Reaction score
Hi hj,
yes, 2% is the "1/4inch per foot" minimum that is required. I'm digging up a lot, and have more then enough room to make up that 3/4" difference.

My main concern was that should the Mainline backwater valve unit itself be level, and the inlet and outlet pipes should have the 2% minimum grade.
Or is the backwater value supposed be tilted so that the 2% grade is consistent across the valve unit. The instructions for the valve are vague about this, and I haven't gotten any feedback from the Mainline website.

NEVERMIND.

I was just typing my response and realized that the 3/4" difference is more than the required 2% grade... for some reason I thought it was not.... so the 2% grade minimum is referring to the inlet and outlet pipe.

sometimes it helps to talk/type it out...

Thanks, and sorry for posting a pointless question.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks