Backwater valve flow reduction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ctreefer

Reaction score
I want to install a backwater valve on our footing drain in the basement. We have a groundwater issue and on top of that during high rainfall rates the storm drain where the footing drain empties into can backup into the house. (last year while on vacation we got 6" in the basement after some heavy rains)
the drain is currently 4" PVC. I'm a little concerned that by adding the valve it may restrict some of my flow but I can't find any data on that. (In the spring during snow melt and heavy rain that pipe can max out as it is.)

If it would cause a restriction is there something else I can do to prevent that?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A properly installed valve will not restrict the flow, but it may not always prevent the backup, either. They are prone to back leakage when anything gets into or on the seat and then they become ineffective for preventing a flood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks