Backup Sump Pump recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Uden

Reaction score
Please forgive me if it exists and I didn't find it in my searching the forum, but I am looking for backup sump pump for my new(30 yr old) home. The primary pump runs very frequently and the nextdoor neighbor informed me that they discovered an underground spring when they built their house 30 years ago....so assuming that is what causes my pump to run so much.

The previous owner had installed a 1 HP Flotec pump within the past few years, but there is no backup. I am wanting to begin finishing a portion of the basement, so I need a backup for piece of mind. I see options from basement watchdog, Glentronics Pro series, Liberty and Zoeller. Sump Pumps Direct actually indicates that the Liberty 441 is the best seller. Any recommendations? I am also assuming that I will need to replace the Flotec primary at some point, but would prefer to start with a backup instead of replacing the primary also as it seems to be pumping just fine.

Reach4

Reaction score
You are looking at a battery-operated pump, in which case you want sufficient battery power to last until you can get a generator in.

Do you have city water? If you do, that opens the option of a water-powered backup pump. That will work even if the electricity goes off. Depending on how high you are lifting, that might consume 1 gallon of city water for each gallon of ground water pumped.

1 HP is a really big pump. I would go to 1/2 HP when you replace the main pump unless your existing pump runs half of the time sometimes (such as 8 seconds on and 8 seconds off).

Last edited:

Jeff Uden

Reaction score
We do have city water. I can DIY a battery-powered, but am not confident to install water-powered myself. Other than the obvious benefit of not being power, are there other advantages to that option?

We haven't been through a spring season in the house, but during a day of heavy rain in late fall, it was cycling on every 45-60 seconds overnight. Even in the driest part of the winter, it has run multiple times per hour. It only seems to cycle on for about 3-5 seconds each time it kicks on. Not sure if it matters, but the pit is sealed due to radon mitigation.

Reach4

Reaction score
We do have city water. I can DIY a battery-powered, but am not confident to install water-powered myself. Other than the obvious benefit of not being power, are there other advantages to that option?
I have only read about the water powered units, but they seem like they should be reliable. The battery backup pump that I put in failed, but it was none of the brands you mentioned. I went cheap. The water powered pumps are fairly small, and they are cheap compared to a good battery backup system. I am not saying that I think they are a clear winner, but I suggest you read some. Here is a suggested search: "water powered" sump pump
http://www.libertypumps.com/Products/Category/SubCategory/Product/?p=76&s=23&c=14 is just one example.

Figure to replace the lead acid batteries maybe every 5 years. One good thing about the Glentronics batteries is that they come fully charged with the acid packed separately. So you could have one on the shelf or one that you just bought and the battery would be fully charged once you add the acid.

Running only 5 seconds is a clear indicator that a smaller pump motor would be more appropriate. It has the advantage that it will be quieter, if you care.

Do add an independent battery powered alarm. Glentronics sells a very inexpensive unit.

Jeff Uden

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. bumping this for additional opinions on the best options for battery backup sumps.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One thing you might want to find out is how high the water rises in the pit when the pump is off. If it is a spring, it may one come up a few inches in the pit, in which case a backup might not be as vital as if the level is above the floor, for example.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks