Backup sum pump gurgling

Users who are viewing this thread

14kbiz

Reaction score
HI all,
Maybe one of you guys/gals can help out. I have a backup sump pump that was installed on the same drain pipe as my primary pump. The check valve is installed above the backup pump. Annoying problem is that when the primary pump goes off I hear a gurgling/sucking sound from, what I think is, air being sucked thru backup pump. The check valve is working. I loosened it up and got a small shower so it does hold back water. Question is how to stop the gurgling. Was my backup installed incorrectly and should be on a separate pipe that goes into the main pipe? Should the check valve be in-between the 2 pumps?<<Don't think there's enough room for that. Any other simple options? It's only an 18" pit. I really don't trust myself to "reroute" the backup pump on it's own line and into the main drain pipe, but I have to.. Any easy suggestions?
Thanks. I always great advise and help from this forum, love it.

Attachments

• sump1.JPG
    sump1.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 204
  • sump2.JPG
    sump2.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 172
  • sump3.JPG
    sump3.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Each pump needs a check valve.
When the main pump runs, it pulls from the back up pump? The only solution I see for that is to run the lines out seperate.

But thanks for the idea.
Often I get called to replace a bad pump at my parents home. Of course always when the yard is under water. It sure would be nice to have a second pump already plumbed where I could flip a switch and use the spare.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks