Backflow Preventer

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by DAN T, Sep 28, 2008.

1. DAN T

DAN T New Member

Heres an easy one for you pros. I am plumbing in my new Weil Mcclain CGa4 boiler and I have come to the Watts backflow preventer. I have found copious amounts of information online (especially right here on Terry's site!) on the rest of the system but I cannot find any info on how to plumb the vent on the side of the backflow preventer. My old oil burning boiler didn't have one and the one illustrated diagram I have found shows it vented to the floor. How much and how often can I count on this thing spewing? Do I need to keep a bucket under a vent line or plumb it to the sump pump. Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

It should be piped to within 6" of the floor and it the system is operating properly there will be no leak form it. If a backflow situation occurs then it will relieve.
  3. DAN T

DAN T New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. That's what I figured but I want to do this by the numbers and I feel better having some confirmation. I'll pipe it down into a plastic bucket and hope it never gets used (knocking wood). Thanks again, Dan