Backflow device question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by chetwynd, Dec 28, 2006.

1. chetwynd

chetwynd New Member

Hi,

My girlfriend works for a property management company, and the backflow devices on water lines at their properties keep getting ripped off for scrap metal (stupid meth addicts). Anyway, she needs to find something other than copper or brass or whatever it is.

Do they make anything else? Any ideas?

Thanks!
  2. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

How about putting cages around them? With booby traps and bungi stakes!
  3. Rancher

Rancher Guest

Unless they've changed them those backflow devices have a stainless steel set screw that you are "supposed" to screw into the hose bib to permantly secure them, then the head of the set screw is broken off to keep it from being removed.

Rancher
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

backflow devices

They are referring to the large ones on the water mains at the meters. You can get stainless steel ones, but they will cost as much as two or three of the brass ones. Metal cages with locks on them are the usual security devices.
  5. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

Yeah... then the theives can take the cage and lock in for scrap too! Bolt cutters work wonders.
  6. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

Ames makes a good one. stainless steel body and easy to service.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cage

In the first place the cages are bolted to a concrete pad in the ground, which would make them more difficult, but not impossible to remove. But since the thieves have to be in and out in a matter of minutes removing the bolts would normally induce them to find an easier one to steal. Second, cutting the lock only opens the access door. Getting to the connections usually requires that the cage be removed, or spending a lot more time trying to access them. Again, time they really may not have.