Backerboard Question

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeVila

Reaction score
When building a whirlpool/tub surround and you want to tile the deck do you lay down plywood and cementboard or can I just screw the cementboard directly to the framing. What is the common dimensions to use for the deck? As far as 1/2 or 3/4"? I am building it completely out of 2x6 lumber and will probably use 1/2 or 3/4 Oak plywood for the face of the surround and then do some kind of trim work to make it look like recessed panels. Something along that line.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The cbu needs to be installed on some ply. You might want to consider some waterproofing for the inevitable splashes. A paint on one that works is Redgard. You could use a membrane line Ditra. You might want to check out www.johnbridge.com for help on tiling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks