Backerboard over Insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Juric

Reaction score
We are remodeling the shower in our late 90s brick home. We are removing a fiberglass shower stall and installing tile. One of the walls of the shower is an exterior wall. I haven't pulled the fiberglass stall out yet, but from what I can see of the exterior wall there is the same loose fill cellulose (same as in our attic) in the stud cavities, but behind the stall it appears as there is just a little foam board, insecurely holding the fill against the wall. At some points I can easily see the outside plywood of the wall. I don't see any moisture barrier, poly or felt, etc.

My question is what is the correct way to hold in loose fill insulation (or if I should replace this small section) behind a backerboard on an exterior wall?

Edit: I've been doing more research today and it appears that I could use a felt to hold in the loose insulation since it's not a moisture barrier? Then hardibacker and redgard the walls before tiling, waterproof membrane on the floor + 12" up the wall. Could anyone verify this.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks