Backerboard issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Wahoo284

Reaction score
I'm installing backerboard for tile in my shower and it is an old house with plaster walls. The plaster is quite a bit thicker than the backer board. Should I shim the backer board or just try to level it w/ compound. If I should level it, what should I use. Thanks in advance for any input.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I'd use shims. They sell thick pieces of cardstock that is 1.5 inches wide by 8' long at most supply stores made just for shimming wallboard products. You can staple it in place then nail or screw the backer board on top to the studs.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't forget to install a vapor barrier behind the backerboard in those wet areas. It should run down over the tile flange of the tub or over the liner if in a shower.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What has been said thus far is correct. Ideally you would want all surfaces to be on the same plane. If you choose not to bring it up to the same level then you have the option to butt tile to the edge of the plaster. If you choose to do that make sure you have adequate support behind the wall to prevent flexing at the juncture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks