Backerboard issue

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by wahoo284, Feb 8, 2007.

1. wahoo284

wahoo284 New Member

I'm installing backerboard for tile in my shower and it is an old house with plaster walls. The plaster is quite a bit thicker than the backer board. Should I shim the backer board or just try to level it w/ compound. If I should level it, what should I use. Thanks in advance for any input.
  2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

I'd use shims. They sell thick pieces of cardstock that is 1.5 inches wide by 8' long at most supply stores made just for shimming wallboard products. You can staple it in place then nail or screw the backer board on top to the studs.
  3. wahoo284

wahoo284 New Member

Thanks for the advice
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Don't forget to install a vapor barrier behind the backerboard in those wet areas. It should run down over the tile flange of the tub or over the liner if in a shower.
  5. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

What has been said thus far is correct. Ideally you would want all surfaces to be on the same plane. If you choose not to bring it up to the same level then you have the option to butt tile to the edge of the plaster. If you choose to do that make sure you have adequate support behind the wall to prevent flexing at the juncture.