Back Yard Well Challenge

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by windknotnc, May 8, 2013.

1. windknotnc

windknotnc New Member

Any help or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated. Below is a diagram of the well in my back yard. A couple weeks ago, due to a fire in the shop, I had to remove the pump etc. In this process I wrung off the bolts that attached the pump assembly to the 2" well casing and the 1 1/4" galvanized supply pipe. Due to not knowing then what I do now I cut the pipes about 12" above the ground and the 1 1/4" galvanized pipe fell to the bottom of the 108' deep well. At this time the water table is at 22' and the top of the cut galvanized 1 1/4" pipe is at 67', meaning the original galv 1 1/4" pipe was about 43' long. I purchased a 95lb pull magnet in hopes I could pull the galv. pipe out but no luck. Here are my questions.

1. Is there a way to retrieve the 1 1/4" Galv pipe out of the 2" PVC?

2. Is it possible to insert a new 1 1/4" PVC pipe with a foot on it down the existing 2" pvc casing to the 65' depth and be able to sustain pumping without pulling all the water out of the 2" pvc casing before it refills?

Does anyone have a reasonable plan of action?

Well Diagram.jpg
  2. craigpump

craigpump Member

Yep, you need what we call a spear or taper tap. The spear screws onto another string of pipe, is lowered into the well and screws into the existing 1.25 galvanized pipe.

If I were to do this I would run the spear in on 1" galvanized for a few reasons, 1) the other pipe may be stuck in whatever is in the bottom of the well and may require some extra pull to free it, 2) PVC pipe has too much flex to be able to screw the spear into the lost pipe.

Luckily the 1.25 pipe will be close to centered inside the 2" so it won't be quite as difficult as fishing for 1" in a 6" well.

I would strongly suggest you call a local well/pump guy who has a hoist truck, a spear and hopefully some experience fishing for lost pipe.
  3. windknotnc

windknotnc New Member

Is it possible to insert a new PVC pipe with a foot on it down the existing 2" pvc casing to the 65' depth, leaving the old 1.25 galv pipe in the well
    and be able to sustain pumping without pulling all the water out of the 2" pvc casing before it refills?
  4. craigpump

craigpump Member

Maybe, I'm not familiar with that area so I can't say for sure
  5. tvl

tvl Member

I'm no expert, but I do like your idea. You have absolutely nothing to lose and may even save some big bucks. The worst that can happen is the well may not be able to supply your demands at the 65 foot level, at which time you will forced to get someone out to retrieve the lost pipe so that you can go deeper. It is definitely worth a try in my opinion.
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

It really depends what is in the bottom of the well. If the packer leathers are still sealed to the casing, then all the water will be drawn through the existing packer. If it plunged into mud at the bottom, you will not likely get very much water through it.

I would take craigpump's advice and get a pro. That packer could be stuck in the mud but good.
  7. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

I have done it several times when the pipe falls deep and would take too much money to retrieve. Are you using a jet or simply shallow well style? The water should go through the old pipes just fine.
  8. Smooky

Smooky Member

Sometimes the pump is attached directly to the well casing. A well seal and a foot valve are not used. The pump is connected the same as if you were connecting the pump to a well point.