Back up in my shower

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by KitKat, Aug 30, 2008.

1. KitKat

KitKat New Member

In the last two weeks, there has been back up from my shower drain. From reading other threads on this website, I've gathered it's something to do with venting (not sure how that works) that is not adequate in handling water that is flushed from my washer during the drain cycle.

The drain backed up for the first time while I took a shower the other day, also... then drained back out. This has never happened before.

Should I get a plumber here, or is there anything I can try myself? Would Drano do, or do I need something mechanical to clear the drain?

Help!:eek:
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

A slow drain is never related to your vent. If you have a slow drain, the drain line is clogged, and you need a plumber with serious cleaning machinery.
  3. Master Plumber 101

Master Plumber 101 In the Trades

KitKat, Is there any other fix backing up in your shower other than what you stated. If not it should be a easy fix. I recommend the Rigid Coleman hand auger.It's about $25 at Home depot. Remove strainer from shower bend the tip of the auger to a 45 degree bend, insert, spinand feed. Keep going untill drain open's up.Don't use draino! Bad!Bad!Bad!