Back flow into water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry T

Reaction score
I am looking at a situation where the hot water lines from one apartment and a separate apartment's garage are interconnected so that when hot water taps are opened in the apartment water flow from both water heaters to that tap. Hence the hot water outlet line from both water heaters is under pressure from hot water line of the other water heater. Would this condition cause any problem for the water heaters? I discovered this when replacing one of the water heaters so I installed a shutoff valve on the outlet line so I could disconnect the water heater without having to turn off water to the building and so as not to have to do so or to brain access to the other apartment's garage for future service. I'm wondering if it would be necessary or recommended to install a backflow check valve on both outlet lines to protect the water heaters if this condition could be harmful to them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks