Bacement cleanout trap has a small hole

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by nyleak, Aug 25, 2007.

1. nyleak

nyleak New Member

Hello all--I have a cast iron --Trap that runs along the basement wall--Its U shapped with two 4 inch cleanouts plugs on it--My problem is--I noticed a small leak last night on my basement floor--and found that the pipe has a small hole right at the U therest of the pipe is fine--My question is--Can i go to ********* and get some type of a patch kit or some kind of a fiberglass repair-such as the ones they use on OIL TANKS that leak.. Right now i have Silicone adhesive over the small hole and its working 100% no problems--I dont trust that tho--I want a better patch! Why the hole is there is another question--The pipe is old--and doesnt have any other areas that need fixing--I think when i added Acid to the pool through the pipe--It did something.. Thanks for any help!! Have a great day!! MARK
  2. BAPlumber

BAPlumber Plumber

post some pictures if you can.
  3. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Try jb weld epoxy.
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Sounds like a whole house trap...how old is your home.
  5. nyleak

nyleak New Member

The house is about 65 Yrs old

I know i can change the trap assy--But i'm also sure i can seal it--Hell--They seal Fuel oil tanks 275 gal jobs--With fiberglass sealer--I've seen it--So this trap should be a snap to seal.. I sanded the area--Its all clean now ready to seal.. I was also told by a few other about JB Weld.. Thanks so much for getting back to me.... All of you!! Have a good night! MARK
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hole

Cast iron pipes do not have "small" holes. The small hole is usually just the tip of a larger pit on the inside. If you tap around the small hole you should have a large hole in short order.
  7. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

Cheap Enough

Try the J B Maybe You'll get lucky for 20 years! :D
  8. USE DUCT TAPE or Electrical tape

The silicone seal that you put on the trap will probably
    be good for 20 years....perhaps add another layer or two
    and its good for an extra ten.....

Now if you really want to make the next plumber mad...

take a roll of electrical tape or duct tape and roll about
    30 feet worth of it onto that trap ell....over the silicone....

it is hell to get off
    but is seems to be what I run into all the time under kitchen sinks.....

and it usually works fine untill everything on both sides of the patch
    finally rots away....
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

traps

That or a half inch of silicone puttied over each slip nut connection.