Autotrol 460i

Users who are viewing this thread

CMcB

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Autotrol 460i water softener installed in my attic( long story) it is programmed to regenerate at 10.30am. It doesn't finish until nearly 1pm. ..not sure if this is normal or not ? As its in the attic I have an overflow pipe installed- only problem it is spilling a huge amount of water(circa 250 litres of water) during the cycle - not sure if it's from the waste pipe or overflow yet? Concerned about the huge volume of water going to waste. Any ideas are much appreciated?

Reach4

Reaction score
I have an autotrol 460, which is the electromechanical version of the timer. Its default to have the regeneration start at about 2:30 AM and finish maybe at 4 AM... not sure exactly how much time, but in that ball park. The time of regeneration starting is changed by changing the clock. However it is fixed that it should start at 2:30 AM on its clock, which you could set to a different time from the actual time to cause the regen to start at other than 2:30 AM. If you set your clock to be 8 hours slow with respect to actual time, then starting at 10:30 is what should result.

Normal can be defined in different ways. Few people start their regeneration at 10:30, but I am not going to call you abnormal if that is what you choose to do.

I expect there is an easy way to change the time the regeneration starts with the 460i. http://www.donamarc.com/SA255-440i.pdf seems to indicate that it might be similar to my 440. There is not going to be a way to make the cycle shorter for a given start time.

The line that carries out the water used by regen is called the drain line.

250 Liters total carried out of the brine line ... I would have guessed less, but I don't know what number to expect. The Autotrol 255/440i is less adjustable than most softener controls. If you want to minimize water use, there are controllers that make the various times almost independently programmable. The brine rinse and refills are determined by changeable injector (white, blue, or red). I don't know what sets the backwash rate. The timing duration is fixed by the cam.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Here is a link to a User Manual for your softener valve: http://www.wahlwater.com/images/stories/460manual.pdf

Softeners are generally programmed to regenerate when there is little or no water requirements which for most residential applications, is during the night when the residents are sleeping. Unless you sleep during the day due to shift work, it is best to regenerate starting at about 2am as it should be finished regenerating before most people awaken.

As its in the attic I have an overflow pipe installed- only problem it is spilling a huge amount of water(circa 250 litres of water) during the cycle - not sure if it's from the waste pipe or overflow yet?

When you say 'overflow', I expect you are referring to a drain line. When you say 'spilling', I expect you are referring to the water going to the drain as opposed to being spilled onto the floor.

Whenever the softener initiates a regeneration, water is used to loosen the resin and flush out debris, draw brine into the resin, rinse the brine from the resin and then fast rinse the resin to pack it tightly to ensure adequate contact of water to resin during water use. In addition, a volume of water flows into the brine tank to prepare brine for the next regen cycle. Regeneration occurs on a regular cycle, so the water used to regenerate is intended to be flushed to drain.

Concerned about the huge volume of water going to waste.
You are considering the water used to regenerate as 'waste' but it is not wasted as that volume of water is required to keep the softener functioning properly, to provide continuous soft water to you and your family throughout your normal day/week. Water, salt and a little electricity is what is consumed for the softener to function just as fuel and oil are consumed to operate your car and water, detergent and bleach are consumed to clean your clothes.

I don't know how you determined 250 Litres are being used. That volume equates to approx. 66 US Gallons which is probably the correct amount for a residential softener, depending on the softener capacity.

You didn't indicate the capacity of the softener but if you state that info along with the current program settings, the hardness, iron and manganese content of your water and the number of people living in your home, you will likely receive suggestions on the most efficient settings for your unit and water requirements.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks