Automatic Water Shutoff for Broken Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Fraser Jim, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Fraser Jim

Fraser Jim New Member

Insurance company is making my daughter install an automatic water shutoff for whole house in case of flood or broken pipe. Something like Watercop.

Can anyone make suggestions or provide reviews?

Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That usually means there is something about her piping that makes them think she could have another flood. ANY automatic shutoff is no better than HOW it determines there is a broken pipe, i.e., continual flow for a period of time, sudden flow, water sensor, or pressure drop. All of them have downsides as far as flood prevention is concerned.
  3. Fraser Jim

Fraser Jim New Member

Actually a sprinkler company came in to check out their system and left a valve open that flooded the bsmt..

Even though my daughter's insurance co didn't have to pay, they threatened to cancel her if she didn't install a shutoff.
  4. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

HE BEST I HAVE FOUND IS PRO STOP

http://www.getfloodstop.com/

THEY ALSO HAVE ONE FOR WHOLE HOUSE

BUT NOTHING PREVENTS STUPID ACTS BY PEOPLE
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If that was a "fire sprinkler" system anything that would prevent a flood would also turn that off during a fire.
  6. Lucky Don

Lucky Don New Member

Is the house supplied with town water or well water?