Automatic Air Vent Leak At Base

Users who are viewing this thread

Fraser Jim

Reaction score
Our daughter has a Braukmann Air Vent on her hot water heat system.

She said that it was leaking. Went to take a look and this is what I found.

1. Looks like a Honeywell EA122 Automatic Air Vent. This is supposed to have an open and closed position, with expanding discs to "prevent" leakage.

2. Expansion tank seems fine. Warm on top half, cooler on the bottom. Thunks when tapping top half, tings when you tap bottom. Install date 10/14/04.

3. Legend Air Purger.

4. Did not see leak when AAV was "open". Started to drip around base (bottom of main cylinder where open/close marks are) when swiveled to "close". Stopped when "opened".

5. Removed red cap (air vent) at top and there appeared to be water in valve.

6. I understand that I should be able to turn to "close", take top off of AAV, and clean out.

Should be able to do this without draining system? Is this true?

I don't understand why it should be leaking around base when "Closed", except if a seal is bad inside??

What do the expanding discs do??

Any other suggestions??

We want to take off for Thanksgiving, so I wonder if it is safe for awhile?? Thinking of leaving it in open and closing down the air vent??

Thanks

Fraser Jim

Fraser Jim

Reaction score
Would love to replace, but have never purged such a system before.

House is a one story ranch with boiler in basement. Suggestions on purging?

Also, is there any reason that it shouldn't it be safe till next week?

Fraser Jim

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
discs

The "expanding discs" expand. When they are dry they shrink which caused them to become "loose" in the valve allowing air to escape. When the air is gone, and water reaches the discs they expand and shut off the flow to the vents.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It should be fine untill next week. You don't need to drain the system to change it. Just take the pressure off the system and work fast.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks