auto fill ver: shutdown

Users who are viewing this thread

rrekih

Reaction score
I am not convinced on using an auto fill for a hydronic system.
With a fill line connected all the time you could have a small leak for a long time before finding out.
What if using a switch that upon low pressure would shutdown the system via the AC feed?
What would be the name of such a pressure switch?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
we have been using auto fill valves for close to a hundred years now with very few problems.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A boiler that didn't have a low-pressure shutoff probably wouldn't pass the required safety tests. Just what you need if you're out of town and the heat shuts down. I'd feel safer with a small leak and the heat stayed on verses a shut-down system, or one where that switch failed and it flashed to steam, maybe messing other things up as well. I think an autofill is the lesser of two evils...

rrekih

Reaction score
I have a unique situation.
I don't have a boiler but run a heating box with a tankless hot water heater.
As for having the heat shutdown while out of town probably isn't a concern where I live. It rarely gets below freezing here.
My thoughts are if the pressure goes down I shut off the pumps, saving them.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have a unique situation.
I don't have a boiler but run a heating box with a tankless hot water heater.
As for having the heat shutdown while out of town probably isn't a concern where I live. It rarely gets below freezing here.
My thoughts are if the pressure goes down I shut off the pumps, saving them.

Put a low water cut off in the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks