attic addition draining

Users who are viewing this thread

riosgrande

Reaction score
I'm building a master bed + bath in my attic and was wondering if I can use my existing cast iron vent that goes thru the roof as a drain. I was going to use the 4" vent to drain for toilet and the 2" coming up from kitchen sinks for the master shower and sink.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Nope. If it is being used to vent fixtures below, adding fixtures above will convert it from a vent to a drain. Biggest problem will be the siphoning of the lower fixtures when the upper ones are used. You will probably need to connect all of your new bathroom together in 3" and run that 3" all of the way down. Then add a new vent through the roof for the new plumbing or you can tie into the existing 4" vent for the venting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks