attaching tile to fiberglass shower base

Users who are viewing this thread

wdedalus

Reaction score
I'm in the process of adding a bathroom. We got a neo-angle shower kit, and the base for the shower is 6" tall. We're tiling portions of the wall with 6" porous/non-filled travertine tiles, and my wife hated the look of the base, so we decided to put one row of tile all the way around the base of the shower to "tie it in."

We tiled, and everything has been really solid. But the tiles in the high-traffic area at the front of the shower (where you enter the shower) have broken off. The adhesive doesn't appear like it bonded to the fiberglass shower base very well.

Is there a specific medium that would be ideal for this application? I've been told omnigrip and liquid nails by 2 different guys. I really don't want to have to do it all over *again* - so am trying to find the best solution now.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I doubt you'll get anything to hold that stone tile to the fiberglass base for any length of time. If you get it to stick, the tile will likely crack...stone needs a very stable, unflexible surface, and fiberglass isn't one of them.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tile is rigid and requires a rock-solid base. Fiberglass flexes under use, that's why you will not have much success attaching tile to it. You might try a waterproof epoxy, but I'm afraid the grout still would crack in time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks