Attaching steel tub to wall

Users who are viewing this thread

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm retiling tub surround around a steel tub. I tore out the drywall and tile.
The tub seems like it's not attached to the walls that well.
It just has two metal clips attached at each end of the back wall.

Is it okay to put some screws into the studs through the flange?
If yes does it matter how many or where?
I wondered if there was some reason to connect it in a way to let it expand/contract w/ the temperature.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Most times roofing nails catching, not through the flange, will work. As long as the tub is level and solid to the floor it's not going anywhere. Did the old one have a ledger board?

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
It has a little ledge and 1 1/8" and the what I'm calling a flange or tiling flange that goes up vertical for about 1 1/2".
The house is 50 yrs. old and I think the tub settled a little in one corner... and I get a little wiggle there.
My concern is the movement with the tile on the wall.

There's a 2x4 under the flange in that one corner and maybe it needs a shim on top to get tight support for the tub?

I was thinking of drilling a hole through the flange and putting a screw into a stud. But maybe your idea of a nail head catching the flange is easier/better.

On another note is there any spray on paint that I can use to touch up a couple nicks here and there on the tub.
Someone had the tub refinished by Dynafinish at some point and a couple scratches show the old blue color.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would get some screw clamps, similar to what you would use to clamp down a kitchen sink to a countertop, but which use real screws. You can screw them right into the studs and it will be much more secure than just "catching" the head of a few roofing nails.

For chips in porcelain, I always try to match up the color with a little bottle of porcelain repair paint. Once the tub has been resurfaced, however, the task becomes a lot trickier. I hear Krylon might have a suitable tub and tile paint that comes in a spray can, but I haven't tried it out.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks I'll look for some screw clamps.
I assume that's some that will be in the nuts, bolts, screws aisle at big box.

The tub is not really porcelain, it's like your typical steel tub enameled or really painted.
But the tub refinish company said they do some touch up for $82/hour probably take about an hour, using a two part paint to match. Seemed fair. They said to have them come out when I'm done w/ the tiling. A new economy tub isn't too expensive but the difficulty in attaching the drain etc., through an access in the closet is too much and I'd end up w/ the same quality tub, just new paint job.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

From your description of what you are doing and the tub, I would replace the tub at this point. A steel tub is the absolute least desirable choice for a tub, and if its finish is damaged, it is almost cheaper to buy a new tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks