Attaching sink to counter top

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobbyj

Reaction score
I think the guys who built the cabinets and installed my sink screwed up. It looks like it was just held in place with silicone caulk, and that the width of the cabinet (narrower than the sink rails) makes it impossible to attach clips to hold the sink down.

Right now the width of the granite cutout is only about 1/4 inch wider than the width of the rails on the underside of the sink. From the pictures you can see you can not tighten clamps from below because of that.

Any ideas on how to secure the sink better than just silicone caulk? That seemed to work for about two years, but eventually the seal broke and now the sink shifts back and forth the 1/4 inch.

Thanks!

IMAG0229[1].jpg

IMAG0230[1].jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the sink rim were really bedded in a fresh bead of 100% silicone caulk, it would not be likely to ever come loose unless the surface was not clean when the caulk was applied.

Bobbyj

Reaction score
So you think it's worth removing the residue of whatever that caulk was and just trying 100% silicone? Any suggestions on removing the old caulk? The counter-top is a manufactured fake-stone material, I forget exactly what it was.

Reaction score
It looks like it was just held in place with silicone caulk
Unless you are giving kids a bath in the sink daily, this is a proper way to fasten things to granite or tile. There aren't any holes and brackets under it to fasten it like exhaust parts of a car.

There is far more superior stuff than silicone. Try some Schluter Kerdi-Fix. There's a good reason why Schluter never teaches contractors to use silicone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks