Attaching new PVC drainpipe to copper stub out

Users who are viewing this thread

Loneriver

Reaction score
I just removed an old bathroom vanity, sink, and plumbing back to the wall in a house built in 1964. The existing connection from the wall was a brass piece that threaded into the stubout. The existing drainpipe was chrome and was sweated in to the brass piece. I am not going to sweat any new pieces; I only want to thread them in or glue if necessary. The piping is 1 1/2".

The plumbing guy at the store said I could do the following setup shown in the attached pictures. My questions are:

1. Does this seem correct? It seems that there should be some type of double-threaded trap adapter rather than having to glue two pieces together (as shown in the last picture).

2. Is it OK to screw the pvc adapter into the metal pipe or does the adapter have to be metal as well? If so, what is the piece called? Link? Part number?

Thank you for your help!

-Rob

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 422
  • First adapter.jpg
    First adapter.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 516
  • Second adapter.jpg
    Second adapter.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 469

Reach4

Reaction score
5fbe683d-ce38-4a4a-8146-82454ef844a6_145.jpg
How about brass? This is Eastman Model # 35403 1-1/2 in. MIP x 1-1/2 in. O.D. Brass Male Trap Adapter There are others such as
TRB_192B.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks