Attaching ferrule to plastic tubing

Users who are viewing this thread

Vaman77

Reaction score
I'm replacing the faucet for our kitchen water filter. There is a 1/4 " line that connects to the house supply. The original line was installed by a plumber so this is my first experience with putting a ferrule on plastic tubing. Can someone tell me the secret? It's very tight which I k now it needs to be but I can't get the ferrule to slide up at all on the tubing.
thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a close look at the end you're working on. It may have been distorted over the years by the old fittings making installation of new ones difficult. You might have to cut off a bit to get to 'virgin' undamaged tubing. Or, it's possible that the fittings you have aren't the right size. Try putting the end in a cup of hot water for a few minutes (not boiling, just hot). Might help, might not.

Vaman77

Reaction score
The ferrule I'm using is what the plumber installed 10 years ago. and the tubing is brand new.BTW I posted wrong about the diameter It's 1/8" not 1/4 if that matters. And I've tried reattaching the ferrule to the original tubing after cutting off a bit of it. Tried putting tubing in very hot water and also lubricating it with vegetable oil.Nothing works.
There must be a way pros do this without this hassle.Any other ideas are appreciated.
This is aggravating as I have done what I thought was the difficult part of this project;drilling a hole in stainless steel to relocate faucet.Up to this point things have been straightforward and now a little plastic piece is the hangup!

DaveHo

Reaction score
Yeah, you can't re-use that. They crush around the pipe when the fitting is tightened. The orginal plumber must not have made it very tight if that wasn't obvious.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The smaller sizes of pex tube does not require an insert. 1/4 and 3/8 atleast do not. Just the plastic ferrule. The only type plastic tube I use is pex.

Vaman77

Reaction score
You guys are right. Went to plumbing supply place and bought new ferrule. Guy explained how they get compressed over time. What a difference between the old one(10 years old) and the new one. Problem fixed!
thanks

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
You guys are right. Went to plumbing supply place and bought new ferrule. Guy explained how they get compressed over time. What a difference between the old one(10 years old) and the new one. Problem fixed!
thanks

Yes your right it gets compressed over time. The amount of time the plumber takes to tighten the nut when he installs it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks