assembling ABS pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by filipi, Jun 3, 2013.

1. filipi

filipi New Member

Hello everyone

I was assembling and gluing ABS pipes and fittings together, and one of the pipe didn't bottom out in the fitting , may be by 1/4". I guess I didn't push hard enough and it dried before I could do anything about it.
    Is that still acceptable if not leaking or shall I cut that section and redo it ?

Thanks.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

This obviously for a drain line. Drains are never under pressure, so I think your OK. Just a tip that maybe you haven't picked up on. When connecting ABS or PVC just apply the solvent to one joint at a time. A good swab around the inside of the fitting and a good swipe around the outside of the pipe end. Then insert the pipe into the fitting with a twisting motion as well as pushing. Then hold the joint together for a few seconds so the pipe won't push away from the bottom of the fitting. All that said, I'd bet there are lots of joints that are working just fine that did not get all of the above done to them.
  3. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

For myself, that could depend upon where it is. The chance of it ever coming apart is pretty slim, but drain hubs (fittings) tend to be short and I would likely fix it if it were inside my house and being stressed in any way that might try to pull it apart.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

joint

If there were any problem with your joint, it would be the gap in the flow line, but a 1/4" is not enough to worry about. The joint is not going to come apart because of that small gap. In fact, the gap could be 1" and it would still not come apart.