AS Cadet PRO - better or worse?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Hillel, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Your neighbor has good taste.
  2. Cameron Fields

Cameron Fields Implementer/Inventor

Well maybe I've been single minded, do you happened to know how well reverse flush toilets work?
    and if they are easy to install I need to install one in a basement up north in Carolina.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  3. Terry

Yuck!

So you poop on a shelf, and then get to smell it.
    Wonderful!

You don't think pooping on dry porcelain is going to be a problem?

Big type just like Master Plumber Mark would have done. Dooh!
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  4. Terry

[​IMG]

A very marginal American Standard Evolution Cadet, Marginal at best is what the homeowner said.
    Not at bad as her Glacier Bay toilet which she had tried to return.
  5. Terry

[​IMG]
    American Standard Cadet 3 elongated bowl with a built in lean.
    This came from a home center.
    I've tried to install bowls that customers have picked up on their own. I remember on A/S Antiquity that was so warped on bottom that it would have taken 1/2" shims at the back.
    I've seen Cadet 3's at a home center that was a little like a rocking horse, it was high centered in the middle.

When I go out to install, I don't like surprises when I pull them from the box. Like the round bowl in the elongated box I pulled out one time.
    Crazy.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

One apartment I had in Germany used that type of toilet...I did not like it at all. And, better close the cover before you flush, or you'll spray the room. Plus, you better have a big water line as it's similar to a flushometer - it needs a big line (at least on the ones I've seen).
  7. wptski

wptski Retired Machine Repairman

In all fairness, you should also show a level on the floor as well. My Cadet 3 from HD wasn't that far off but I had to shim because of the floor. The exit trapway surface was higher than the outside edge of the bowl, so it would rock on its center when on the floor.
  8. Terry

The person that posted that picture had put the level on the floor. The floor was level.

But again, I do think that the Pro versions of the Cadet "are" better then the homeowner versions.
  9. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Huh. Personal experience with the original Drake, the Carlyle (like an Ultramax II with a skirt), and the Aquia.

After the stupid Consumer Reports article that accused a Toto of not disposing of the liquid fully, I have actually tested all three of these models with richly-colored fluid. It all disappears and leaves no color in the refilled bowl. All are properly-installed, however, and that may make a difference.
  10. Terry

The Ultramax II is one of my biggest sellers. It's an easy repeat sale. They buy one, they buy again.
    The video that CR did was of a plugged bowl. It wasn't an install problem, it was sabotage. At least it would be if they knew what they were doing with toilets in the first place.

I like this video that TOTO did better

[video=youtube;Xn9_zctMge0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9_zctMge0[/video]
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  11. Cameron Fields

No that's forward flush I reverse flush or up flush toilets that use the reverse impeller function. like this
    sorry for the confusion not those other german toilets yuck
    uflush.jpg
  12. Cameron Fields

DEFEAT Toto has won there is evidence clearly "Lord help me when my toilet design goes into production"
  13. Terry

Back outlet bowls historically have had issues flushing.
    Most still on the market in the US are pressure assist bowls. When I've asked manufacturers about this, they noted that it can take a lot to flush that direction. Most wall hung bowls now use a Flushometer in commercial use. Gerber has come out with a 3" Flushvalve Maxwell for their rear outlet floor mount and their wall hung. American Standard, Gerber and Kohler use pressure assist on their rear outlet bowls.

Gerberit does make a wall hung set up. I used some like that in Amsterdam and India.
  14. Cameron Fields

oh ok thanks.
  15. kshorty

kshorty New Member

That's good to know. Thanks.
  16. kshorty

kshorty New Member

By the way -- if you see this, gusherb94 -- I saw your video online of the Cadet Pro flush. It seems like it took a longish time for it to refill. Would that be because of the rigging set-up, or is that how it is? Thanks for your help.
  17. GoKohlerGo

GoKohlerGo Brand New Plumber

Plugged bowl? I don't think so. If it was plugged, how would the water go down? Why would you think it was sabotage? They are Consumer Reports. Not Conscammer Reports.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  18. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

When there's something caught in the trapway, it is fairly common for liquids to leave, but solids to butt up and into that obstruction. Something like a pen, pencil, crayon, small toy, whatever can do that. The siphon jet on a Toto moves things quite fast...any time you see it delayed, there's something wrong. In 12-years, I've not needed a plunger...the old ones, a couple of times a month. To me, anyway, that says something. ANd, it's doing this on less than half the water of the old ones.
  19. GoKohlerGo

GoKohlerGo Brand New Plumber

Can you tell me why they would purposely put something in the trapway?
  20. Terry

At nineteen years of age, you haven't seen much yet.
    It's very common for kids to put things down a toilet and watch it go. Wait till you get older and have kids of your own.
    Plenty of things drop into bowls. I once found a ball that the family dog had dropped in. It was found stuck at the bottom of the bowl outlet. Nothing solid was going to get past that. After the flush, it would float up a bit and slowly let liquid out.
    Cell phones, bars of soap, pens, small cars, action figures,
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014