Arrowhead Freeze Proof Faucet Questions

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rvjimzhr, Nov 10, 2010.

1. rvjimzhr

rvjimzhr New Member

I have 2 questions about these faucets.

My girlfriend and I each have what appears, initially, to be the same type of external faucet at our homes. Both are silver colored with green handle and top cap. Both have "UPC" on the top cap and "USA" on the side of the faucet. The top cap on hers says "ASSE 1019A" where mine says "ASSE 1018". Can someone explain the basic difference between the two faucets and is UPC the brand?

Also, her faucet is leaking ( gushing) from the top cap. I'd like to find a kit to repair kit but from all I read I don't expect much help at the local home stores.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Jim
  2. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

>>>ASSE 1018". <<<

That is listed as a trap primer valve

>>>ASSE 1019A"<<<

That is listed as a frost proof hose bib, those numbers only tell you what type of vacuum breaker is on them.

UPC means Uniform Plumbing Code, on the valve it means it conforms to their regulations.

To repair one of these you have to have the makers name to get parts.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You are correct that a home store is unlikely to have parts. Take a picture or better yet take the parts to a large plumbing suppy
  4. rvjimzhr

rvjimzhr New Member

Where exactly on the faucet will I find the manufacturer's name?
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Maybe no place on it....

A picture and we might be able to tell you...

Prier
    [​IMG]

Arrowhead
    [​IMG]

The description still tells us its a few different ones...
  6. rvjimzhr

rvjimzhr New Member

Here is a pic

I think I got the pic attached here.

Attached Files:

7. NPMSTR

NPMSTR In the Trades

Arrowhead Brass Products
  8. rvjimzhr

rvjimzhr New Member

Thanks! I'll talk with them and maybe they can point me to a repair kit.
  9. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Before you rush out and order parts and then figure out how to fix the old faucet, you might want to check the price of a new faucet. Then determine if the savings is enough to mess with. Frost free faucets, while not "cheap", are not gosh awful costly. If you do end up having to remove and replace the faucet, you must access it from where it connects to the water supply. You need two wrenches, one to keep the supply line from being twisted, and the other to loosen when removing and tightening when replacing. You must note the vertical orientation which is usually marked with an arrow for up. Also, never leave a hose connected to the faucet during freezing weather. The faucet will not drain if you do and the faucet will freeze and split.
  10. rvjimzhr

rvjimzhr New Member

It's not the cost of a replacement faucet which I worry about. I'm not much of a handyman but I figure I can do a repair with the right kit with simple tools right at the faucet,. What I can't do is replace the faucet which would require getting to the water source under the house, cutting pipe, soldering, etc. Buying a replacement faucet and then paying a plumber to do the work sounds pretty expensive. Thoughts?
  11. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Most faucets are available either as solder-type or pipe thread type, so depending on what you have, you might only have to remove the mounting screws, then unscrew the whole thing, and screw a new one in (you need to do this inside so you can hold the supply pipe too, or you could damage it). Now, different brands and models will have different lengths, and that could be an issue requiring redoing some parts.

FWIW, there are a few models of frost-free hose bibs that DO NOT REQUIRE you to remove the hose...they have a separate drain line outlet that drains the water after your turn the faucet off, regardless of whether there's a hose attached or not. http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/Wall_Faucet_Pages/Model-30.html is an example of one. The vast majority of those available WILL BE DAMAGED if you don't remove the hose during a freeze cycle when it gets cold enough or long enough.
  12. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

If you look at the photos that Redwood posted, you will see these just screw on/off the supply line. The only soldering was done with the original installation so it's really a pretty simple process to replace them other than the fact you do have to get to them. That can be anywhere from very easy to a royal PITA, depending on where the connection is. But, it's your call.
  13. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Those were Redwood's photos, and are representative...not definitive of what's there. Most valves are available as either sweat or threaded...it really depends on what is there, and you won't know until you look! For either preference or prudence, depending on the situation, one or the other may have been installed. For example, it's easier to get the length and position exactly where you want it if you solder it on, rather than trying to ensure it is making a tight, leak-free fitting when threading it on. It certainly can make it easier to remove if it is threaded, but those things generally get installed and left for a long time, so that should not be the major consideration.
  14. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Here is their newest product.