Arrowhead Freeze Proof Faucet Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

rvjimzhr

Reaction score
I have 2 questions about these faucets.

My girlfriend and I each have what appears, initially, to be the same type of external faucet at our homes. Both are silver colored with green handle and top cap. Both have "UPC" on the top cap and "USA" on the side of the faucet. The top cap on hers says "ASSE 1019A" where mine says "ASSE 1018". Can someone explain the basic difference between the two faucets and is UPC the brand?

Also, her faucet is leaking ( gushing) from the top cap. I'd like to find a kit to repair kit but from all I read I don't expect much help at the local home stores.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
>>>ASSE 1018". <<<

That is listed as a trap primer valve

>>>ASSE 1019A"<<<

That is listed as a frost proof hose bib, those numbers only tell you what type of vacuum breaker is on them.

UPC means Uniform Plumbing Code, on the valve it means it conforms to their regulations.

To repair one of these you have to have the makers name to get parts.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You are correct that a home store is unlikely to have parts. Take a picture or better yet take the parts to a large plumbing suppy

rvjimzhr

Reaction score
Here is a pic

I think I got the pic attached here.

IMG_1236.jpg

rvjimzhr

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll talk with them and maybe they can point me to a repair kit.

arrowhead-pk1430.jpg

PK1430

arrowhead-pk2016.jpg

PK2016

arrowhead-pk1430-install.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Before you rush out and order parts and then figure out how to fix the old faucet, you might want to check the price of a new faucet. Then determine if the savings is enough to mess with. Frost free faucets, while not "cheap", are not gosh awful costly. If you do end up having to remove and replace the faucet, you must access it from where it connects to the water supply. You need two wrenches, one to keep the supply line from being twisted, and the other to loosen when removing and tightening when replacing. You must note the vertical orientation which is usually marked with an arrow for up. Also, never leave a hose connected to the faucet during freezing weather. The faucet will not drain if you do and the faucet will freeze and split.

rvjimzhr

Reaction score
It's not the cost of a replacement faucet which I worry about. I'm not much of a handyman but I figure I can do a repair with the right kit with simple tools right at the faucet,. What I can't do is replace the faucet which would require getting to the water source under the house, cutting pipe, soldering, etc. Buying a replacement faucet and then paying a plumber to do the work sounds pretty expensive. Thoughts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most faucets are available either as solder-type or pipe thread type, so depending on what you have, you might only have to remove the mounting screws, then unscrew the whole thing, and screw a new one in (you need to do this inside so you can hold the supply pipe too, or you could damage it). Now, different brands and models will have different lengths, and that could be an issue requiring redoing some parts.

FWIW, there are a few models of frost-free hose bibs that DO NOT REQUIRE you to remove the hose...they have a separate drain line outlet that drains the water after your turn the faucet off, regardless of whether there's a hose attached or not. http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/Wall_Faucet_Pages/Model-30.html is an example of one. The vast majority of those available WILL BE DAMAGED if you don't remove the hose during a freeze cycle when it gets cold enough or long enough.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you look at the photos that Redwood posted, you will see these just screw on/off the supply line. The only soldering was done with the original installation so it's really a pretty simple process to replace them other than the fact you do have to get to them. That can be anywhere from very easy to a royal PITA, depending on where the connection is. But, it's your call.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those were Redwood's photos, and are representative...not definitive of what's there. Most valves are available as either sweat or threaded...it really depends on what is there, and you won't know until you look! For either preference or prudence, depending on the situation, one or the other may have been installed. For example, it's easier to get the length and position exactly where you want it if you solder it on, rather than trying to ensure it is making a tight, leak-free fitting when threading it on. It certainly can make it easier to remove if it is threaded, but those things generally get installed and left for a long time, so that should not be the major consideration.

Frank Bellini

Reaction score
My Freeze Proof Faucet is sticking closed again this spring. Last year I left it open and tapped it and it popped loose but no luck this year. Water pressure for the house is fairly low. Hints?

vtlandlord

Reaction score
Terry I have the exact Arrowhead faucet you pictured in your post of 8/17/04. I put it in almost a year ago and didn't discover that I had a problem until now. It turns off and turns on fine. Problem is, with the faucet open and a hose attached with a shut off nozzle on the hose turned off there is a steady drizzle out of the little hole in the shaft of the assemble, right next to the shut off handle. I took the packing nut off and pulled out the whole assembly, and also took off the handle so I could take the packing nut off. I am simply not seeing what is supposed to happen so that the water doesn't get into the stem assembly and leak out when the faucet is open and there is a shutoff on the attached hose. Thanks.

20170809_185223_HDR[1].jpg
20170809_185159_Burst01[1].jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
This info is from the: Arrowhead Brass Frost-Free Wall Hydrant Guide
Information, Identification & Repair (it is model specific , I'm not sure if you have a 420 series or not)

420 SERIES

Leaking out of the Weep Hole during use:

• Cause: worn out o-ring on the check assembly. This happens over time or if the faucet is left “ON” for long periods of time (over 12 hrs)

• If the faucet was installed after 1999 OR the stem’s check assembly is SPRING-LESS, replace with new check assembly

[PK2016] OR full stem [PK2004-PK2014]

arrowhead-pk2016.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks