Armored cable on wall surface?

Users who are viewing this thread

mc510

Reaction score
I want to extend a circuit from an existing outlet (steel handy box) in the garage to a remodel box on the opposite side of the wall several feet away. Because the studs are enclosed with sheetrock, I'm picturing running armored cable on the surface of the wall, then ducking through a small hole in the sheetrock to get to the remodel box. Is it acceptable to run armored cable in this way, exposed on the surface of a garage wall? How would I terminate the armored cable at the plastic remodel box? Can't clamp it in, as you would with a steel box.

mc510

Reaction score
get a steel "remodel box".
Ah, why didn't I think of that? Okay, that will let me properly anchor the armored cable. Now, is it acceptable for me to run that armored cable along the exposed interior surface of my garage wall?

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Most of us take enough pride in our work that we would fish cable through the wall and repair a few holes in the drywall instead of considering what you are.
If I were going to surface mount, I would be running conduit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks