Are there any qualitative differences between penetrating oils to loosen fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbbarch

Reaction score
I use PB Blaster on my car with good effect.
Is there anything special about Liquid Wrench that makes it more effective on plumbing?
Are there other penetrating oils?

I'm working on removing a 60 year old tub drain.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't attest to either one being better than the other, but PB Blaster seems to be quite popular by users of this forum. You're probably working with 2" galvanized, so big wrenches are likely in order.

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
I prefer PB. sometimes some heat on the joint will help, but that depends if you have the room or now. Be Safe! Allow adequate time for it to work also.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have never used penetrating oil on fittings, I figured if it doesn't leak from the inside, how is oil going to penetrate past the threads to the inside.

When we pull steel pipe, we give a couple of hard raps with a hammer on one side of a coupling with another hammer on the other side which helps to loosen the joints.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks