Are Sharkbite and other quick connect fittings reliable?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by amateurplumber1, Jul 18, 2013.

1. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

I want to install a water softener and am wondering if these are reliable and if there's anything else I should know about them. Do they restrict flow any more than a normal soldered fitting? Any significant difference between the Sharkbite (with teeth) and the quick connects (which seem to have no teeth, namely Watts brand)?

Thanks a ton!
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I would use any of them. As far as restricting flow, I doubt it. Reliable? Maybe. Haven't heard of any blowing out. What's the matter with the tried and true sweat joints?
  3. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

It's kind of complicated and I'd have to spend a bunch of money to buy all the stuff required to solder (I have none of it) and I dont know how to solder (yet) and I don't want to buy a cheap torch (I'd rather get something of good quality) so I'd rather just do it this way now and then maybe later go back and solder it. :p
  4. craigpump

craigpump Member

Yeah they are reliable, I haven't seen one fail yet. Matter of fact, I saw a submersible pump hung on Pex and Shark Bites a few years ago.
  5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

They are crap. I've seen a lot of them leak.
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

If you want to DIY projects around the home, you just have to have some basic tools and be able to use them. Doesn't mean you have to be a journeyman that has every tool you'd ever need, doesn't mean you have to know all about every facet of every job, but you can't do quality work with plug together handyman junk that fill the shelves in discount stores. If you are going to work with plumbing, a propane torch, flux, solder, and a pipe/fitting cleaning tool doesn't cosst an arm and leg. Sweating copper is not rocket science (but yes, it does have to be done correctly) and can be learned with a few pieces sacrificial pieces of pipe and fittings. If you don't feel up to this, then hire a plumber.
  7. DougB

DougB Member

With enough money - anyone can get anything 'waviered'. That is 'approved' - even though it is crap. As a degreed engineer I can tell you that you need a mechanical joint between two components.

Whether it's a weld, silver solder, solder, crushed, or threaded you need one of those. To assume that you can get a friction fit with an O-ring gasket is folly.

Soldering technique is easily learned. If you don't want to try - then get a pro to fix it.
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I wonder how many people actually use their deburring tool and follow the instructions. It's not hard to nick or slice an o-ring. Much less chance of that happening if the end is properly prepared. Only take a moment.