Are retention tanks absolutely necessarry ????

Users who are viewing this thread

RTKBA

Reaction score
Good day.....I am in the final stages of prep before installing the equipment absolutely required for my residential well water H2o2 injection system. My purpose for H2o2 use, remove 1.8ppm iron, live iron bacteria and occasionally a whiff of H2S (appears to be seasonal in my case).... Note* chlorine is not an option due to medical issues... I have been getting conflicting information concerning the "necessary equipment" absolutely needed for a properly functioning system with respect to both iron issues.

I have spoken to several (4) local {"water professionals"} here in Florida and a couple (2) from out of state regarding H202 injection systems for my purpose; their suggestions have put me in a practical dilemma...

The conflicting issue? The use or required need of a retention tank for contact time.

Option #1 32% solution with sediment filter and no contact tank needed due to strength of solution.

Option #2 7% solution no sediment filter and a contact tank is mandatory due to weaker solution strength.

4 of the 6 {WP} contacts recommended Option #1 unequivocally with a 1 or 2 ppg water meter in lieu of flow switch for precision injection control , 1 of the 4 mentioned an inline static mixer was used in the past but has now fallen out of favor.

The remaining 2 {WP} contacts "pushed' Option #2 with a flow switch in lieu of water meter, citing the solution safety as the primary concern and a more forgiving parameter when dosing with the weaker solution.

In a previous life I spent many years working in chemical / industrial / food plants with and around caustic chemicals and oxidizers; I am keenly aware of the precautions needed in handling 35% H2o2, Ain't skeered (lol)

From the limited information gleaned from the web, both options will work... The Stenner pump, PCM, 1ppg water meter and a GAC backwash filter on site and ready....

Retention tank or not????????

Appreciate your real world opinions; facts are even better!!!!

Regards,
RTKBA

Reach4

Reaction score
If you do not have a shallow well that gets contaminated with surface bacteria, I would sanitize the well to deal with IRB and SRB and look at catalytic backwashing filters. http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/index.php/maintainance/disinfection-and-testing is my favorite sanitizing method. Depending on how much oxygen is in the water, there is a good chance you may not need air injection; most don't. Look up discussions of Katalox Light media.

From what I have read, a contact tank is pretty important for chlorine injection, and I would think that would apply to peroxide. I have a friend with a chlorine injection system that has no contact tank, and performance is not what is desired.

My iron and sulfur filter uses Centaur Carbon, and it is effective for me.

RTKBA

Reaction score
If you do not have a shallow well that gets contaminated with surface bacteria, I would sanitize the well to deal with IRB and SRB and look at catalytic backwashing filters. http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/index.php/maintainance/disinfection-and-testing is my favorite sanitizing method. Depending on how much oxygen is in the water, there is a good chance you may not need air injection; most don't. Look up discussions of Katalox Light media.

From what I have read, a contact tank is pretty important for chlorine injection, and I would think that would apply to peroxide. I have a friend with a chlorine injection system that has no contact tank, and performance is not what is desired.

My iron and sulfur filter uses Centaur Carbon, and it is effective for me.

Here in central Florida most if not all residential deep wells derive their water from our common source aquifer. We can sanitize our wells to deal with IRB and SRB until the cows come home and it will necessarily return.. The live iron bacteria is always present in our source water..and the normal oxygen content is very poor. Local {WP} say that H2O2 eliminates the need for injecting oxygen and the contact tank needed for iron precipitation and/or any media for removing iron, GAC media is the standard. Appreciate your reply...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
This is another place I think the Sulfur Eliminator might be a good option. It doesn't use any chemicals. It just aerates the water in the well, which means the well is the contact tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks