Are Reliance hot water heaters a sub-company of Whirlpool?

Users who are viewing this thread

Marty 1

Reaction score
Hi: Is the company that makes Reliance hot water heaters a subsidiary of Whirlpool? I heard that Reliance heaters are having the same dirty screen problem as mentioned in the Whirlpool thread. Could this type of problem be inherent with all hot water heaters since the fed enclosed the heater's burner? Marty

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

No, they are a subsidiary of State/A O Smith. I believe Whirlpool is made by American Heater Company. There are only a few manufacturers and all the various brands come from them. Ruud, Rheem, GE, Vanguard, and Richmond, and possibly one or more others, for example are all made by the same manufacturer.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A.O. Smith Water Products division is a subsidiary of A.O. Smith Corporation. They manufacture water heaters under the following brands: A. O. Smith, State, Reliance, Apollo, Maytag, GSW, John Wood, and American. All of these were once stand alone water heater companies, absorbed by A. O. Smith. Hard to tell at this point to what extend they are still independent in terms of design and manufacture.

The American Water Heater subsidiary, of Johnson, Tennessee, makes water heater under the American brand, and for the international and private label market, under the Pro-Line and US Craftmaster brands. US Craftmaster is identified as the manufacturer for the Whirlpool brand, of recent infamy at Lowes.

If you think this is all confusion, it is the rule, rather than the exception, in industry these days. Try to identify the manufacturer of a Ridgid tool these days!

Marty 1

Reaction score
Hi: Speaking of knowing who manufactures what: Who makes the Branford White that Brent Audi mentions in the Whirlpool thread (P. 9). Marty

edwardh3

Reaction score
so

there are no a o smith heaters in the box stores then?
As lowes whirlpool is american heater,
and home depot's GE is Rheem??

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The A.O. Smith label is sold through plumbing suppliers. You will not see it in a box store. If you follow the trail I mentioned, the Whirlpool brand sold exclusively at lowes is made by a susidiary of the parent A.O. Smith company

The GE label, excusive to Home Depot, is made by Rheem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks