Are pit toilets legal in the US?

Users who are viewing this thread

Edwardh1

Reaction score
after a trip to the "far east" and seeing the use of pit toilets even ceramic one with no toilet paper and no lavatory to wash your hands, , I wondered if they are legal in the US?

were they ever used? not counting outhouses?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Where is a Sears catalog when you need one ?

They worked better before they used glossy paper.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Outhouses or Pit Privy as they are called here are still allowed here in NC. We just screw an old phone book to the wall.

15A NCAC 18A .1959 PRIVY CONSTRUCTION
An "approved privy" shall consist of a pit, floor slab, and seat assembly housed in a building which affords privacy and reasonable protection from the weather.
(1) The pit shall consist of an excavation at least 42 inches square and in no case shall the bottom of an excavation be closer than one foot from the seasonally high water table or rock.
(2) The pit shall be properly curbed to prevent caving. In sandy or loose soil, the curb should extend the full depth of the pit. In tight soils, partial curbing is acceptable if it prevents caving.
(3) The privy floor slab shall be constructed of reinforced concrete. Where it is impractical to secure or construct reinforced concrete floor assemblies, wood construction shall be acceptable provided the floor slab is made of rough sub-flooring and covered with tight tongue-and-groove flooring or other type flooring materials to provide strength and prevent entrance of flies and mosquitoes to the privy pit. Where wood construction is used, floors shall be anchored to at least four-inch by four-inch sills.
(4) Wood used for riser, seat assemblies, and the floor slab shall be tongue-and-groove or plywood (exterior or marine) material.
(5) Privies shall not be used for the disposal of water-carried sewage.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A-335(e);
Eff. July 1, 1982;
Amended Eff. December 1, 1990.
15A NCAC 18A .1960 MAINTENANCE OF PRIVIES
(a) Any person owning or controlling the property upon which a privy is located shall be responsible for these requirements:
(1) The privy building shall afford a reasonable degree of protection from bad weather conditions.
(2) When the pit becomes filled to within 18 inches of the top of the ground, the privy building shall be moved to a new pit and the old pit completely covered with earth.
(3) If the pit caves in, a new pit shall be provided.
(b) The tenant or person occupying the property shall be responsible for these requirements:
(1) The walls, floors, and seat of the privy and grounds immediately adjacent to the building shall be kept in a clean and decent condition.
(2) Fowl and other animals shall not be harbored in the privy building.
(3) Seat cover shall be hinged and closed at all times when the privy is not in use.
(4) Flies shall be excluded from the pit at all times.
(5) Ashes, garbage, and trash shall be kept out of the pit.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A-335(e) and (f);
Eff. July 1, 1982;
Amended Eff. January 1, 1990.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
yes I did mean a squat toilet

I think what you are asking would depend on Where in the US you are.

If it is a public building that is required to have Handicap access, and that is all they have, then I would say no.

Some places you can do what you please, On your own property.

I have seen many transmission fill funnels going thru the garage wall , so you can take a piss when your hands are greasy. And if you are doing the job right the Beer makes you pee a lot. Systems like that are not for females, but I have seen them use them.:p

Females may be comfortable using a squat toilet.

These and nice, But your taxes go up if you own one here, because it is a out building.

Outhouse 1.jpg

New York city may not allow them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks