Are more exspensive toilets cast denser?

Users who are viewing this thread

GWT500

Reaction score
The more exspensive downstairs toilet doesn't stain as easily as the upstairs toilet does. Toilets pretty much look the same. Just wondering if the less exspensive toilet's casting is more po:)rious and this is why it stains so easily?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know about the density of the casting, but the quality of the clay is one of the reasons Toto locates their manufacturing when the do. There very well could be some of the finishing techniques that go into the better quality toilets as well. I have two Toto toilets, neither have the Sanigloss options, but I have no staining problems in either one. The cheap toilets found in Big Box stores are referred to as "builder grade" because the are cheap and building contractors construction spec houses buy them. They could care less how well the perform or if they stain, because after the house sells, it's the buyers problems. Many plumbers make a good living replacing these cheap toilets with quality just a few months after the house is purchased. It's human nature to want quality for cheap, but it rarely happens. Unfortunately, paying ahigh price for famous old name brands alone does not guarantee quality either.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The quality and thickness of the glaze is what will make the difference, not the underlying clay. As to overall strength of the whole toilet, the choice of clay and the design would make a difference. On some toilets, they don't always glaze everywhere that is visible (like under the rim - but who puts their head in the toilet!?), and that can be the starting point of stains.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I've never seen a toilet bowl that wasn't glazed under the rim. Thats a new one on me. I've seen them that didn't have the internal trap glazed but nver under the rim.

What brand would that have been?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks