Are Female PVC Adapters/Couplings Junk?

Users who are viewing this thread

jakkwylde

Reaction score
Are Female PVC Adapters/Couplings Junk? (contains pictures)

Just looking for feedback on your experience with female pvc adapters and if they are typically not reliable. I had one split and bust on me last week that was threaded over my backflow preventer and hooked to a 1" pvc pipe from there. The plumber since replaced it with a brass one although I'm nervous about the assembly breaking again and flooding my basement.

Below are pictures of my current setup going to my pressure tank with arrows pointing to where the pvc adapter that split used to be. Should I be concerned about this or is this a reliable setup?

Attachments

• IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,035
  • IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
I stopped using standard CPVC FIP adaptors a few years back due to splitting. The ones we use now have a SS band on them and have not had any problems since.

cpvc-female-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jakkwylde

Reaction score
when the adapters split, is it common for them to split the pipe too, that's what happened in my case

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
Yes, it will also split the pipe. I see in the pics that PVC male adaptors were used into brass females, that is better than using the PVC females.

cpvc-male-adapter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jakkwylde

Reaction score
thanks, sounds like i'm in better shape and this should be solid. after having water flooding my basement i just want to make sure it doesn't happen again and this should be reliable!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
adapters

Female plastic adapters will split if corrosion creates an internal pressure on the thread, but male adapters will also crack if they have any lateral stress on them.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm going to beg the question. Why on earth are you using PVC in the first place? PVC generally is not permitted indoors, and frankly the installation looks pretty tacky. There's nothing wrong with measuring and making corners at least look square. If you are using PVC instead of copper to save money, I think you are penny wise and pound foolish. For no more copper than you need, it would not be that much more money, and copper isn't that much more difficult to install. Sorry if this seems blunt and insulting, but that's what I see.

jakkwylde

Reaction score
gary - this was installed by a local plumber. i understand it likely isn't really pretty, but after the original female adapter (now brass) split I was paranoid about something breaking again and was looking to see if this was more reliable.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Iron pipe thread (the likely thread on the fittings) is tapered. SO, the tighter you screw it, the more pressure you are putting on the fitting (and whatever is inside it) as if you were using a wedge into a log. Then, add expansion and contraction with temperature changes and if it is too tight, or any imperfection at all, it can break.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
female

They turn them down for the very reasons we have been describing why they split. And a female adapter can NEVER be legally screwed on to a metal connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks