Are domed shower enclosures "out of style"?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by guy48065, Sep 27, 2013.

1. guy48065

guy48065 Member

When I moved to my current home almost 20 years ago I converted the 1st floor 1/2 bath/laundry to a full bath and installed a 36" domed shower enclosure. In all these years I have been very pleased with this enclosure--keeps heat & steam in, easy to clean, never leaks, no paint or tile needed, no cracked/peeling/mildewed ceiling paint. Well now I have a summer cottage and want to install the same thing there but nobody carries them anymore. Ultra-rare/special order. What happened to this great idea?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Cost and lack of demand. It doesn't make economic sense to create a production line for an item with few sales.
  3. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

I have not seen one before but I have seen many full shower tub enclosures sold.

Have you tried calling the plumbing wholesalers in your town. Most have access to full product lines and often these types of units just take 1-4 weeks to ship to your town.
  4. guy48065

guy48065 Member

Oh I can definitely get one but what should be a $400 item is an $800 (probably more) special order.

I'll be shopping Craigslist for this now but was just wondering what the story was.
  5. litebrite

litebrite New Member

What does a domed shower look like? I have never heard of one!
  6. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

[​IMG]

Searching, they seem to be popular in NZ and Australia.

Nice idea.
  7. guy48065

guy48065 Member

Noooooo....just a regular shower enclosure but the sides continue over the top. Ends up looking like a tub standing on end.

[​IMG]

Wish I could take a picture of mine but I can't get far enough away from it to compose a decent shot.

The sci-fi looking one posted would do the job but you can't frame that into an alcove like the old type.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013