Are all pex crimpers the same?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by spresco, Jan 29, 2007.

1. spresco

spresco New Member

I have compared crimp rings and fittings for both Vanguard and Zurn. The Vanguard crimp rings are a little wider and a bit thicker than Zurns rings. The fittings look to be the same. Can you use a Zurn crimper on a Vanguard crimp ring as long as you use a Vanguard go/no go gage? The Vanguard crimpers are more expensive.
  2. dubldare

dubldare Plumber/Gasfitter

Check the ASTM numbers on the fittings, piping and the rings. Same numbers- same tool.
  3. RRW

RRW New Member

My daughter just loaned me a copy of the "household handyman" and there is a pretty extensive article on PEX. I noticed that they stated that different manufacturers have different crimp tools which are not interchangeable. You might want to check it out. Good Luck