ARCING in meter socket

Users who are viewing this thread

Mookie3333

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know this is primarily a plumbing forum (and a great one at that), but I'll try my luck in the electrical forum.

I have been experiencing arcing in the meter socket for about a month or so. When pulling a load on one of the phases (AC unit, etc.), the meter pan actually gets hot, and you can distinctly hear zapping arcing, and the lights flicker. It took the utility weeks to finally make it to my house and remove the meter. When they removed the meter, they found that the screw holding a red (aluminum) wire that goes from the meter pan to the main breaker in my panel was loose. The worker tightened up that screw good, and it seemed that the problem was solved. Less than 3 days later, the same thing started happening all over again!!! Surely the screw didn't come loose already??? What else could be causing this problem? Utility worker said aluminum isn't the problem, and that con ed uses aluminum all the time. Defective meter?? Defective meter pan?? Help please.... Should I call back the utility?? Or an electrician?? Thanks guys.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The loose connection probably caused the contact to overheat and lose its tension so the meter is not making a good connection in the box. The aluminum wire may NOT be the problem, but NOT retightening the contacts holding it is.

Mookie3333

Reaction score
The loose connection probably caused the contact to overheat and lose its tension so the meter is not making a good connection in the box. The aluminum wire may NOT be the problem, but NOT retightening the contacts holding it is.

The utility worker did tighten the contact screw, very tight. The insulation on the red wire was starting to melt just near the contact point also. HJ what your describing, can the utility take care of this? Or do I need an electrician?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The meter pushes into the socket and those spring contacts, if they get overheated, can lose their tension. The screw contact is a different story. Often, those aluminum contacts also need some special antioxidant paste on them for long-term reliability.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Once the wire or contacts get hot the metal changes. Replacement is the only option.

The wire needs to be cut back, and the overheated part removed, to get a new bite on new wire.

The power company owns the meter and base here, And they will fix it. The power company may not like you pulling the meter. If it is arcing it should be pulled, and tagged out.

You may be over loading the service, That may have started problems in the first place. Unbalanced line loads can cause problems.

Good Luck.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
You need an electrician.

ConEd owns the glass meter itself, but you own, maintain and repair/replace the meter pan and service equipment.
A NYC licensed electrician ill know all the requirement and paperwork needed to do this job.

Do this IMMEDIATELY, it is only going to get worse and at one point (probably when it's 102 deg out) it is going to fail completely. I have seen this exact situation completely melt the end of the wire, along with the aluminum lug in the meter pan.

DonL

Reaction score
It is a bit of a guess that it is the same connections that are causing the problem.

The breaker panel may have problems.

I agree a electrician should be on order.

A AM radio can be good for listening to see if you have loose connections, Without removing the panel cover.

Be safe. Use PPE when you pop the cover.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Here, the utility services the entire system, up to the point where the wire leaves the meter socket. AND, they take a dim view of ANYONE removing the meter to work in the socket, sometimes to the tune of a $10,000.00 fine.

DonL

Reaction score
Here, the utility services the entire system, up to the point where the wire leaves the meter socket. AND, they take a dim view of ANYONE removing the meter to work in the socket, sometimes to the tune of a $10,000.00 fine.

I have never been fined for pulling my meter, Some locations do not allow it without a complete electrical inspection before restoring power.

I have only pulled mine for Main breaker maintenance. I had a licenses but no second inspector, as required. You can not inspect your own work.

If I heard my meter arcing I would have it out in a minute, and not reinstall it until the REAL problem is fixed.

All fines and BS aside, anything arcing it is nothing to play with. (Welder not included :D)

I think some of the new smart meters will sense a arc fault and shut off automatically. I know the fire department can shut many of them off remotely now. The electric shuts it off too if you do not pay your bill.

PPE is your friend.

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
If I heard my meter arcing I would have it out in a minute, and not reinstall it until the REAL problem is fixed.
This is not exactly a smart thing to do, at least with older ring-style meter pans. I have seen more than once where a lug came loose and when the meter was pulled they pulled the live UNFUSED lug right into the cover. That makes a big boom and a BIG spark right in front of the person doing the pulling. Were you wearing appropriate PPE at the time?

I think some of the new smart meters will sense a arc fault and shut off automatically. I know the fire department can shut many of them off remotely now. The electric shuts it off too if you do not pay your bill.
Do you have a link to this information? I have never heard of this feature before.

JerryR

Reaction score
Perhaps this video will convince you to call an electrician today.

If you have arcing in the meter box you have heat.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
In NYC has your meter been changed to a new smart meter? Here in Florida, Florida Power and Light (FPL) upgraded 4.5 million meters to the new digital smart meter whereby they get power usage via cell phone type connection. It is great and I can look at my daily usage on line.

However, a small percentage the meter replacements has had failures mainly do the fact the new meter and the old electrical box didn't mate up correctly or corrosion, lose connections. FPL insisted that the homeowner had to get the repairs made by the qualified and licensed electrician since the homeowner owns the box. FPL only owns the meter.
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...es-20130705_1_fpl-smart-meters-public-counsel

DonL

Reaction score
In NYC has your meter been changed to a new smart meter? Here in Florida, Florida Power and Light (FPL) upgraded 4.5 million meters to the new digital smart meter whereby they get power usage via cell phone type connection. It is great and I can look at my daily usage on line.

That is the same system we have here.

Each meter has a IP address and is on the old cell phone network. You can talk to it directly if you get its MAC address.

It is a two way system and they can kill the load remotely. That is a bit scary to me. And no old meter to restore power would suck.

I just hope hackers have better things to do then hack them, But they are hackable.

Have Fun, Get your off grid power working.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks