Arc fault testing

Users who are viewing this thread

brosnt1

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have my final electrical inspection this week and was wondering if there is a way to test arc fault circuts, other than using the test button? I've heard that the devices on the market for testing them (similar to the gfci circuit testers) do not work as advertized.
Any replys will be greatly appreciated.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You could use a pigtailed light socket with a low-wattage light and just touch the pigtails to the live circuit to make an arc. Dunno if this qualifies as a high-tolerance test, but I doubt it.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
You could use a pigtailed light socket with a low-wattage light and just touch the pigtails to the live circuit to make an arc. Dunno if this qualifies as a high-tolerance test, but I doubt it.

May not work, they should be design to avoid nuisence tripping...this would be a lot like plugging in a lamp that is on and seeing a little arc-it wouldn't trip.

brosnt1

Reaction score
All,
thanks for the reply's
I just wanted to make sure they trip before the inspection, for the GFCI's I used a plug in device to check that the wiring is correct, and it has a button to trip the GFCI. I was just wondering if there was a similar way to check the AF.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
This article is a couple or 3 years old, but may still be relevant. Bottom line: there's no such thing as an AFCI tester like the common GFCI tester.

There is no such thing as a GFCI plugin tester either. Does that item that you plug in and push the button give you a reading of what amount of current caused the GFCI to trip?
NO, then it is not a GFCI tester but instead it is a GFCI tripper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks