Arc fault circuit breakers

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by chukakid, Mar 30, 2009.

1. chukakid

chukakid New Member

Finishing a basement and local jurisdiction has adopted 2008 NEC code but I'm still having trouble understanding which circuits require the ARC fault. I'm laying out 15AMP lighting circuits and 20AMP outlet circuits. The Bath and the wet bar area will have 20Amp GFI outlets. The basement will have a bedroom, exercise room, entertainment room, wet bar area and game room. I think I need the ARC breakers for each room except for the GFI circuits, is that correct? :confused:
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Everything down there will need AFCI

(B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.
  3. drick

drick In the Trades

Check that your town actually adopted that part of the code. Towns don't always adopt everything within the 2008 code even though they say they are using the 2008 code.

-rick
  4. chukakid

chukakid New Member

Thanks, are there any specific brands that you would recomend? I'll be putting them in a new subpanel just for the basement circuits. I'll have single pole 15amp and 20amp breakers?
  5. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob In the Trades

The general idea is "wet areas" GFCI, so bathroom, kitchen, garage, outside outlets, and basement.... Then everything else AFCI.

But you are finishing your basement... But then you will have a "wet area" (wet bar)...

To be sure, I would ask your electrical inspector before installing this stuff.

Dumb question: Would a "finished" basement be less wet than a non-finished basement?
  6. iminaquagmire

iminaquagmire DIY Senior Member

What do you mean by brands? Use the brand of breakers that matches the panel you are using. You can't go wrong with Square D QO panels and breakers.
  7. franck@geneseo.net

franck@geneseo.net New Member

Since we are on the topic of Arc-fault breakers, how many outlets can you put on one Arc-fault breaker? Compared to a standard breaker they are kind of expensive and I'd like to put two bedrooms on one breaker.
  8. jbfan74

jbfan74 Electrical Contractor

Follow the same rules for sizing a circuit.
    Being an arc fault, gfci, or standard breaker makes no difference when sizing a load.
  9. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner