Aquia II slight rocking, how to shim?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spunger1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got this toilet almost installed and noticed a slight rock. I have both plumbing shims and the plastic wood shims that are suggested on this site. The problem is my toilet rocks enough to rock, but not enough to get a shim under it as they seem to be too thick. I'm guessing my movement is 1/16 of an inch or less. I almost have to get out my automotive feeler gauge to measure the rocking. I've tried shimming the back but I end up with a worst rock then not. As far as I can tell everything is flat on the toilet and the floor.

On the toto adapter do I need to cut down the bolts that extended past the adapter? I left them long but didn't know if those cause a problem like I'm having. I know on a normal toilet you cut them and then place the white caps on, but seeing as this toilet uses the adapter I didn't think I needed to cut them down.

Any tricks or hints on shimming something that rocks so minor that regular shims won't stop the rocking? I'm at my whit's end with this LOL. I gave up early after spending most of the weekend futzing around with it. I have polyseamseal? and a tube of silicone and even grout *read that wasn't a good idea*. Just looking for any tips or tricks to shim this toilet so it stops rocking ever so slightly

Thanks guys,
Chris

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bolts can be left long.

If the clearance is less then 1/16" and the shim won't slide in, then the caulking will do it for you. Pick up some polyseamseal, caulk it and then let it dry.

If these shims are too large, then nothing is going to work except caulking it. Which you would do regardless.

shim_it.jpg

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I like to use coins...you've got probably the three most needed ones in your pocket...a dime might be just the thing, a penny is slightly thicker, then a nickel, which is probably too thick for your indicated rock.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks