Aquapure now installed--water is not as slippery as I expected

Users who are viewing this thread

606zpx

Reaction score
Having had soft water at a relatives house, the water was quite slick.....like not being able to get all of the soap off in the shower.

Have installed my Aquapure with Clack ws-1 cs valve (amazingly no plumbing leaks) and the water is softer but not as slick as I expected.

Could slightly overshooting the numbers in setting the clack cause this? I have 6-7gpg and the softener is set at 11k grains and 3lbs salt. I did not change the p setting since the aquapure manual did not indicate this.

big dripper

Reaction score
Where are you noticing this? In the shower? Using hot water? There could be hard water intrusion from a water heater not yet fully softened. It may take a few days before it is fully flushed out and replaced with nice, clean softened water.

606zpx

Reaction score
Could be the problem. I have a recirculation pump that pull hot water down to the kitchen faucet intermittently so that it does not take as long for hot water to get there. Maybe there is significant residual unsoftened water in the tank?

I guess I will give it a few days.

The water should be super slick right?

When I initially filled the tank I think I opened the valve a little too quickly. There werent any resin beads in faucets....I dont suppose they could get into the valve and bugger it up somehow?

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is most likely going to take about another day or two for the pipes to fully clean up and the water heater to change over to the treated water.
The longer the house has been on untreated the longer it takes to clean up.
I have had customers take 1-2 days and some take up to a week to fulling clean up the pipes ..

606zpx

Reaction score
When you say clean up the pipe do you mean finally washing out all unsoftened water?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, the untreated or hard water that is in the water heater, and the scale that is inside the pipes and working out.
The pipes might have scale and the water does not, thus first thing after a night of no water running the scale goes back into the water as the water if free of it.. and depending on the build up or how hard that build up is tells the time that it will take to work out of the plumbing of the house.

big dripper

Reaction score
You could just flush the water heater, too, but as mentioned, it will take a day or so. Let us know. If it continues on again, off again periodically, then your softener is letting hard through and should be reset. With just 6-7 grains of water, I can't imagine that a small bit of scale build up would make thje soap not lather. yes, there may be a little build up and it may wear away in time with the softened water, but the main cuplrits are hot water tanks and hard water intrusion, such as a leaking by-pass.

To determine the difference, wash hands in only cold and only hot to see if there is a difference.

Now what is really important is that the softener is set up correctly. IOW, if the softener runs out of capacity before it regenerates and you continuously refill the water heater with less than 100% softened water, then this problem becomes chronic. When I see iron stains in washers and showers, for example, but not toilets, it often says that the softener is occassionally letting the heater fill up with hard water. That's why someone should always check both for hardness.

Last edited:

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
I had a customer that felt the slick feeling, but when I moved her softener to another home in the same city (different water source) it went away. The water stayed soft, but the slickness went away. I always felt it was water chemistry.

606zpx

Reaction score
Used sharkbite valves to set up the bypass. Dont think there is any significant leak (couldnt hear anything when I close the valve and there was no flow whatsover)

The water is definitely more slick than baseline water. I will give it some time and if there is any doubt, will test the water.

I should consider myself fortunate that with the long run I had to make with several turns that there were no leaks. There is also no discernable pressure drop, but I did use 1" pipe to make the bypass loop.

I think the softener is set up right (or slightly overestimated capacity).

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Softened water dissolves hard water scale build up in the plumbing and water heater, adding hardness back into the softened water until all the scale is removed. That causes hard water although the water coming out of the softener is 0 gpg soft. Dissolving the scale can take a few days to weeks because it depends on how much scale there is in the system and how much water is used.

Going by the feel of the water is not a good test, test for total hardness right after the softener, that's the only way to tell if the softener is working properly.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is not a single shred of evidence that soft water will dissplve hard water deposits. All the available information on the subject deals primarily with quack science water treatment such as easy water, Zeta rod and all the other carnival tent products that claim to remove existing scale but do not. In order to remove existing scale from piping and appliances either a acidic solution must be introduced or the water must be heated to the boiling point and somehow Co2 has to be added to the mix.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I'd be happy to not have slick water, I find it annoying not being able to get all the soap off in the shower.

606zpx

Reaction score
I dont mind the slick feeling. You just have to retrain your mind that the slickness is not residual soap.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is any and I mean Any iron in the water then one should not put a bleed valve in..

606zpx

Reaction score
Well, water now feeling slick as I was expecting so I guess it was washing out the lines, water heater, whatever. Now to get waterspots off of everything from the prior hard water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks