Aqiua as compromise height? Aka She is a little bit country. I'm a little bit rock and roll

Users who are viewing this thread

music4cities

Reaction score
building a new house and need three toilets, master, children's and powder/guest. The issue is my spouse is 5'-2" and HATES the "universal" height toilets. I am 6'-1" and don't mind either way. I'm not yet at the stage when getting off the pot requires feats of strength. I would prefer a toto, skirted if possible, and like the look of the Aquia. It seems the Aquia is in between the old normal and what my wife says is "not my universal" height. Is that correct? How would it work for kids (two boys) and for the senior guest on occasion?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
There are three flavors of floor mounted Aquia. (There is also a wall-mount.) The one that isn't Universal Height is this one, CST416M:

http://www.totousa.com/aquia-ii-dual-flush-two-piece-toilet-16-gpf-09-gpf-elongated-bowl

Toto's quoted list prices are what some designer will charge you; the street price is more-or-less $350 for the Cotton White version.

It's dual-flush, skirted, and looks nice. It's one of the best dual-flush toilets out there. Flushes well, good bowl wash, decent-sized water spot for a dual-flush. Terry has a crazy-low return rate on them, meaning that people who order them really like them, but keep in mind that many people choose the Aquia specifically-because it's a dual-flush. With that in mind, he says that people typically order one and then come back for more.

One caveat: the CST416M usually has about 1/2" of clearance between the toilet and the wall on a 12" rough-in (which is the standard rough-in, which is the distance from the finished wall [not the baseboard] to the centerline of the toilet flange on the floor.) Most Totos have 3/4" clearance, and the Original Drake has over an inch, which is a little more than most people may want between the back of their tank and the wall, but if they have a short rough-in, then it will still fit, and it's one that we recommend when folks come to us and say, "OMG, I only have an 11-inch rough-in." The point of this is that your builder needs to make sure that the center of the flange is an accurate 12" from the finished wall. Sometimes in new construction, they fudge it a bit one way or the other out of not caring or plans that aren't quite perfect (i.e. there is a joist in the way) or lack of coordination between the trades. Tell the guy up front you need the full 12" for your toilet rough-ins, and get it in writing, and you will then be free to install whatever toilet you want for the life of your home. (12" inches gives you far and away the widest choice of models. They make 10" and 14" models to fit old homes built to different specs, but by 1000-to-1 you have many more choices at 12".)

Your wife is right, as all wives always are in a happy marriage. The Original Drake, standard height, is 14-5/8" to the top of the bowl (then you add the seat). The Aquia CST416M is 15-3/8" to the top of the bowl. The Toto SS114 seat, if you go that route, adds about an inch of seating surface to either one. It's a good, comfortable, heavy-plastic slow-close seat that is very popular and really completes the look of the Aquia, so I would recommend it.

The photo in the spec sheet shows it with the SS204 seat, which is also very nice, if $20-ish more expensive, and has a particular look that I also think is sleek and cool on this bowl.
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst416m_specs.pdf

Here's an extensive video of one in action, hosted by my favorite toilet videographer, ToiletFan1, a kid who goes around California filming, commenting on, and posting videos of toilets. Love this kid. The video gives a good idea of the function of the thing on the "Number 1" flush and the "Number 2" flush. You can see how good that bowl wash is, and how quickly the tank refills. Toto has some videos somewhere with dye and such to show that the bowl does actually clear all liquid and all solids despite there appearing to be water in the bottom at all times, and I can confirm that to be the case. The Aquia has a "washdown" flush, so most of the time, they don't gurgle, which you also see in the video. Like I say, I love this kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

music4cities

Reaction score
Thanks for the super thorough answer and tip on the rough in. The downstairs drain is already caste in the concrete; hopefully it is a true 12". Thanks again.

cst416-green-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thanks for the super thorough answer and tip on the rough in. The downstairs drain is already caste in the concrete; hopefully it is a true 12". Thanks again.

If the finished wall isn't up yet, still time to make adjustments to make the distance correct. That's what I mean about coordination of the trades. And I hope they didn't just cast it in the concrete but rather wrapped at least the closet bend so there is a little space to get in there and pull the plastic pipe out if they ever have to do repairs. Any number of contractors will just pour away without wrapping or spacing the concrete off from the pipe, so it's not unheard-of; in my mind, it's short-cutting and just makes it more difficult whenever repairs need to be made in the future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks