Approximate cost of adding a drain

Users who are viewing this thread

homeowner95

Reaction score
My boiler room has no drain and with all the piping and valves in there, I'd feel better if there were one. I plan on having a professional do this but was wondering what a "reasonable" bill would be. There's a tap (the big iron branch to with a white PVC cap) to the main drain in close proximity (about 6 linear feet) to the door of the boiler room so I'm hoping this will minimize the amount of trenching necessary to tie in. This area of the basement is unfinished by the way. I've called a few plumbers in the area asking for an estimate but for some reason they seem to be ignoring me.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A floor drain will need a trap primer, so water will need to be provided for.
Cutting concrete, and then it needs to wye into the existing drain and be vented. In your area, that vent may run through the roof. It could run a couple thousand for what seems like nothing. I'm guessing they don't want to shock you. These things aren't so bad when the home is being built, a lot tougher when it's been closed in and finished.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
How much $$ do you have? Now double that. LOL Seriously, it's hard for anyone to even ballpark jobs online. There are too many variables such as local labor costs, the things about the job that only onsite examination can reveal. Your best course of action is to get 2 or 3 estimates from local plumbing contractors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks