Appropriate base for softener tanks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Colchicine

Reaction score
For some reason I feel compelled to to install my water softener resin and salt tub on some sort of base.

I'm getting a 10x54 with separate salt tub.
Installing it in a closet that is only 29" wide.
The water supply line is on the floor on one side and cuts the available floor space down by ~4 inches, leaving me 25 inches.
Current substrate is just bare concrete floor. The immediate surrounding flooring is laminate that is NOT water resistant.
I had hoped to use a washer pan under the unit, to catch any leaks and catch drips from a pleated filter change. But they don't make any square pans this size.
I could make one out of sheet metal, but I don't have access to a brake. I could pursue this if it's the best route. Perhaps treated wood with a shower liner?

I'm hoping someone would have some ideas on what I could use. I'd really prefer a pan, but if that doesn't work out, what else would be appropriate for the tank and tub to sit? Like I said, I just feel the need to put them on something other than the bare concrete floor.

Photo shows where an old pressure tank used to sit. Existing supply pipe is on the right. Abandoned pipe to the rest of the house is on the floor on the left, will be removed. Pex is only temporary until I install the water softener.

a6371ec5-294a-4c4f-803a-f11cba07d3eb.jpg

Colchicine

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not seeing at Home Depot or Lowes that would be small enough for this.

I think I've wasted everyone's time who have read this. I'm really thinking a simple shower liner pan liner and 2x4s will be simple and cheap enough for this purpose.

Colchicine

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for helping. I did go with 2x6 sides and shower pan liner. Although I spent more time trying to make this pan than I did installing the new water softener, I think it turned out okay. It's not as professional looking as I would prefer, but I'm telling you- dealing with a 6 ft sheet of pvc at the end of a 29 inch closest with 16 boxes of laminate flooring taking up the rest of the closest was not easy. Why don't the 2x6s go all the way around? I didn't have the space. I needed 25 inches for the resin and brine tanks in a space that was 26 inches.

The second photo shows how I had to section off the water supply line that comes in from the wall. It has a gate valve that was always hard to get to, and it's not any easier with the softener in the way. So I'm going to rig up an extension for the stem using a threaded rod and coupling, so the new handle will be 3 ft high and easy to get to. There is a flap over that section that will deflect any dripped water into the pan, but I can still lift up the flap to inspect for leaks.

I haven't decided if I'm going to put a bulkhead fitting on this pan so it drains automatically in the case of a catastrophic failure.
IMG_20201115_120440.jpg
IMG_20201114_174603.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks