Appropreate sewer cam for residentual use

Users who are viewing this thread

SoundlookerG

Reaction score
Greetings,
I have a home inspection business and want to start offering sewer cam inspections to my clients. I plan to only do residential sewer inspections. I am wondering if any of you have an opinion about the appropriateness of some of the "mini cams" on the market. One I am thinking about is the Trojan Mini color Cam System. With 130' of cable, these go for about $2100.00 Is that enough cable? With a smaller cable size is it less likely to get kinked or damaged in residential use than a larger diameter cable and camera head? Give me the good, bad and ugly!
Thanks!

Specs:

Mini Color Camera System

1-1/2" - 4" Lines

7/8" Camera Head

7" or 10" LCD w/DVR

Fiberglass Push Rod and Stainless Steel Reel

Remote Control for Monitor

Records to any USB Flash Drive (2GB Included)

Optional: Built in 512 Hz Transmitter and Microphone for Recording

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you know anything about inspecting sewer lines? I mean unless there is some drastic problem, running a cam down there won't tell you Jack.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The smaller cable has a greater chance of kinking in the larger main drains, which will not stabilize it very well, but 130' is long enough. It is not likely to be very effective in the smaller, 1 1/2" and 2", drain lines.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless there is an ongoing problem, there is little benefit to using a "sewer cam". The time and expense will basically be wasted. I have had so few times when I REALLY needed a camera, that it is cheaper to hire a company with the BEST equipment, not the cheapest, to do the checking. The advantage of that is that they also have other equipment, besides the camera, which aids in the diagnosis of the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks